Date: 11/19/2006
Subject: Six Weeks

Update for today:
Allen’s parents came to visit last weekend. It was hard not to allow them to hold her. People find it difficult to understand why we are doing this. To those of you waiting, be prepared! People will think it is some evil plot to keep them away from the child that they love! I have a friend who adopted a toddler a year ago and they did not “Isolate”; they had quite a few issues with bonding…and they still do. Next week is Thanksgiving, and I really wonder what we should do. Things are going well, and to add others holding her to the mix could throw us for a loop. The books say 1-3 months, so I have emailed our social worker and asked for advice. We will see how it goes. I have a feeling that seeing both sides of the family in a two-day period will be enough to send all of us for a loop! :)

Allen was traveling on business last week, it was the first time since we came home. We "Tag Team" at bedtime and the mornings to get ready for school, so I was worried. It went fine, David and Andrew actually made the bus every day! :) We also had a couple of doctor appointments on Friday for Andrew, and I loaded them all up and off we went! It really is getting easier every day. On Friday, one of my friends, Martha, stopped in as I was loading everybody up for appointment #2 of the day. She brought us dinner! She is the wonderful Mom of four boys, so her life is just as busy as mine. What a thoughtful and yummy surprise. Two different kinds of home made soup, rolls, fruit, and cookies! The boys LOVED it. I have soup eaters, so she couldn’t have brought a better meal! The quote of the day was "Mrs. B" is an awesome Chef! Luckily, she gave me the recipes and I see some new favorites in our future. Thanks Martha!



Kaytlin is really starting to cruise the furniture and is getting brave about trying to take steps. It is going to be tough on her to have both legs in plaster at the same time! Her first casts will go from her toes to her hips and probably will have her knees at a 45* angle. It sounds awkward, but it helps to keep the feet in position, and also keeps the kids from kicking off their casts! Andrew destroyed his casts by the time he had them taken off! He had “patches” three times because he kept smashing the heels! I am guessing that she will have her casts on for 6-8 weeks after surgery, so when you see updated pictures of her in February wearing a sweatshirt and shorts, don’t think we are terrible parents! Getting pants over those casts is a real pain! Although with her being a girl, I guess I will get some use out of those cute little dresses hanging in her closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment