Date: 5/22/2007
Subject: Shoe Strings

Update for today:
As the parents of three boys between the ages of 10 and 3, we figured in the “typical kid category” Kaytlin could not pull anything that the boys had not tried before her. We knew there would be issues caused by her life experiences before she came into our lives, but typical kid stuff? We thought we had it covered. However, last Saturday I took the two little ones to Andrew’s baseball game so Allen could go to David’s game and actually watch. (Going to baseball games with the Monkey Twins does not allow for actual game watching. I guess if I was two or three years old, sitting in the stroller would get boring for me as well!) Anyway, Andrew’s games last an hour, start to finish, so taking the two little ones was not that big of a deal…what does this have to do with shoe strings? Well, it takes about 30 minutes to get from our house to Andrew’s ball field. We made it through the game without any problems, and about 5 minutes into our ride home, Christopher says something about Kaytlin’s shoes. I know she cannot get the shoes off, because of her orthotics, so I was not worried, silly me. We pull into the garage, and I go to take Kaytlin out of her car seat, she is sound asleep with not ONE but TWO shoe strings wrapped around her neck! Somehow she hand managed to untie the double knots in the laces and pull them out of her shoes! I about fell to the ground. I am not saying they were lying across her shoulders, I am saying wrapped around her neck! I didn’t know if I should cry because she was fine, or yell because she KNOWS she is not allowed to put anything around her neck…I settled for BOTH. She had done something the other three had never tried, and caught us completely off guard. Needless to say, her shoe laces are now tied in knots by the bottom eyelets of her shoes, so the laces cannot be removed. We know God continues to watch out for her…the outcome could have been very different. That scares me to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment