Subject: "Forever Family Day" and "Moon Cakes or Flat Cakes?"
Update for today:
I guess all I can say is that I tried. I knew when I saw the women at the Chinese Christian Church (where Kaytlin takes dance) making Moon Cakes by the dozen; I should have sucked it up, popped my head in the door, and asked if it was OK for me to watch. However, I did not want to be rude. I had bought molds from The W*k Shop, and I found three or four recipes online, so I was determined to make our own. The result? Fruit filled something…not really pancakes, and DEFINETLY NOT Moon Cakes, although they are somewhat round! LOL Thankfully, our friend, Tim, told me to stop at the “G*lden D*lights” bakery on our way home from dance class last Saturday and buy some. I am glad that I did! Although the kids weren’t too thrilled with the filling. Hopefully next year I will buy them early enough that we have some choice in fillings! When one compares the photographs, there is a “tad” bit of difference between the ones I attempted to make and the ones I bought! :) I think I will hang up the mold, and just order them early next year!
Bakery MoonCakes
My MoonCakes. Hmmm, do you notice a difference?
To celebrate Forever Family Day, we picked the boys up from school early (I never do this!), went to lunch at our favorite Chinese Restaurant, and dropped off the paperwork necessary for K's Re-adoption (This is only necessary because we wanted to obtain a State Birth Certificate. Although she is already our legally adopted daughter, if something occurred and her Ch*nese paperwork was destroyed, we will be able to easily obtain new birth certificates from the state, and not have to attempt to get them through the Ch*nese Government.)
Although this was a busy day,(Forever Family Day, a baseball game, and curriculum night as well as filing our re-adoption paperwork) we had our lantern parade between the thunder rumbles. The kids had been looking forward to it for weeks. The clouds also parted so we could do a bit of moon gazing together in the back yard. We read the legend of the Jade Rabbit, Rabbit Mooncakes, and a few other Chinese Folk Tales.
Happy Moon Gazing! Tonight is the Harvest Moon Festival, think about your loved ones who cannot be with you and be thankful for all that you have
No comments:
Post a Comment